THE AICHI BIODIVERSITY TARGETS
The UN 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. The Aichi Biodiversity Targets are a set of 20 global targets under the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011 to 2020. They are grouped under five strategic goals:
- Address the underlying causes of biodiversity loss by mainstreaming biodiversity across government and society
- Reduce the direct pressures on biodiversity and promote sustainable use;
- Improve the status of biodiversity by safeguarding ecosystems, species and genetic diversity
- Enhance the benefits to all from biodiversity and ecosystem services
- Enhance implementation through participatory planning, knowledge management and capacity building
THE LIMA ACTION PLAN
The Lima Action Plan for UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere (MAB) Programme and its World Network of Biosphere Reserves (2016-2025) contains a comprehensive set of actions aimed at ensuring the effective implementation of the MAB Strategy 2015- 2025. The MAB Programme will harness lessons learned through sustainability science and education and use modern, open and transparent ways to communicate and share information. The Lima Action Plan (2016 – 2025), followed by Biosphere Reserve’s is structured according to the following 3 strategic action areas:
- To enhance the conservation of biodiversity and cultural heritage, maintain ecosystem services and foster the sustainable and equitable use of natural resources.
- To explore, develop, support, and study thriving sustainable societies, economies, and human settlements respecting the web of life on which they depend.
- To promote the understanding of the impact of environmental changes, including climate change, and develop and support mitigation and adaptation actions.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?
The next AGM will take place on Friday 13th December, 2019
Venue: Leisure Isle Boat Club (off Links Dr.), Knysna @ 17:00 – 18:00
Upcoming meetings, plans and ways forward in 2020 will be communicated soon.
Attend events advertised by the Garden Route Biosphere Reserve and those of other organisations active in our community. We will announce more opportunities for engagement in 2020.
At Garden Route Biosphere Reserve, we have a multi-disciplinary team of qualified professionals and volunteers that ensure that our efforts to conserve the environment are sustainable and effective.
Garden Route Biosphere Reserve NPC: 2016/105961/08